[Foundation-l] Board resolutions (chapters)

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 12:45:05 UTC 2009

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> So the only reason why chapters cannot overlap is possible commercial
> nastiness ???? Does the NYC have a license to negotiate as much as another
> USA (sub)-chapter have.
Yes, inside their own areas.

>  What is left for the Wikimedia Foundation itself ?

Why, the WMF has enough things to do, and in my opinion can still do more.

But what the WMF don't want to be is very clear it doesn't want to be a
USA-chapter.
> How do you make commercial organisations split along "our" lines ?

I don't quite understand this question. The german chapter for example
had long doing commercials in Germany if you will.
> As I learn more about chapters, I come to my conclusion that they are a
> confused hodgepodge of conflicting ideas. The notion what the essence of a
> chapter is is no longer clear at all.  I would really LOVE some clear
> structured text that explains the notion of the chapter and explains what
> its responsibilities are.

Gerard, the world is not a unity (may I say thank Gods for that?). What
works in Germany may not work in Taiwan, may not even work in France or
the Netherlands. As someone had already pointed out in this thread, the
french chapter is very different as the german. So, there would be NO
clear definition of how a standard chapter should look like. The ChapCom
has a set of criterias before it would recommend an organisation to the
board as a chapter. That's it mainly.

Greetings
Ting