[Foundation-l] Commons and The Year of the Picture

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 10:04:48 UTC 2009

Hoi,
How wonderful, the WIkimedia Foundation adopts the Swedish idea to dedicate
2009 as the year of the picture. There is a lot that we can achieve when we
put our mind to it. So let me tell you about some of our needs and of our
low hanging fruits.

==Diversity==
Some people say that we only need one picture of a dog. One opposing view is
that we have over 250 Wikipedias who all write about the dog, dog breeds
etc. It would be boring if they all have to use the same illustration. When
we started with Commons, the same picture was loaded on many projects and
concentrating them in one location and annotating them once was one of the
primary reasons for Commons. By having a rich collection of quality pictures
we give children something to choose from when they illustrate their
projects.

==Historical subjects and archives==
For many historical subjects it is difficult to find appropriate
illustrations. In 2008 the successful building of relations let to the
opening up of the Bundesarchiv.. We got 100.000 images in a usable format.
This is becoming a win-win situation because many of the annotations have
been checked and feedback is provided to the Bundesarchiv. In the meantime,
slowly but surely these images are working their way into our articles. This
success story provides an argument that may convince other archives to open
up their collection.

==Historical subjects and bias==
We owe a debt of gratitude to archives like the Library of Congress. They
prove great custodians of our cultural heritage. They are a primary source
for illustrations for our historical subjects. The LoC even provides high
resolution scans for download. This embarrassment of riches has one
downside, their material is American and when we overly rely on American
resources ourcollection of  illustrations becomes inherently biased. The
conclusion is obvious, we need more archives to cooperate with. The library
of Alexandria is an obvious one, but we need to illustrate the historical
persons, places and events from countries like Sudan, Bangladesh, South
Africa as much and as well as the persons, places and events of the USA.

==Historical pictures and quality==
Our aim is to provide high quality illustrations with our articles. When
there is nothing available, almost any picture improves the quality of a
picture. When better illustrations are found, the old pictures should be
replaced. This does not mean that the original historical picture lost its
value, it may mean that we only need a higher quality version of the same
image. By keeping these pictures and by looking for a better scan or a
restored version of the image we build on our portfolio of illustrative
material.

==Restorations of illustrative material==
A small group of our people spend much of their time restoring illustrative
material, both images and sound. The quality of their work is recognised in
the high number of featured pictures and sounds. There is a Wikibook on
"Image restoration". There is an open invitation to support anyone
interested in this most important work. When 2009 is to be the year of the
picture, I can only hope for a workshop on this subject in Argentina. I can
also hope that the unfulfilled needs of this community get positive
attention.

==Commons and language==
Commons is only usable for people who speak English. A seven or eight year
old is not likely to find a picture of a hynder. When our material is to be
educational, we must be able to reach those people who are being educated.
It has been proved that we can provide Commons with categories in multiple
languages, with a category tree in multiple languages and with a search
engine that allows a seven year to find this hynder. Half of the WMF traffic
is in English. It is only half our public that we would do it for.

==Commons, tools and language II==
Many software tools have sprung up around Commons. Commonist is one of the
more prominent tools. After some discussion Commonist was included in
Betawiki and it became practical to provide localisations to Commonist. In a
couple of day more then twenty localisations were completed. We need more
pictures from countries like the Philipines, Turkey, Slovenia and Macedonia
and enabling people to contribute in their own language is a powerful tool.
Commonist demonstrates that this can be do this if we put our mind and
effort to this.

==Commons and usability==
The other day I tried and failed to upload a crop from an historical
picture. I asked someone well versed in the intricacies of the upload
process to upload it for me. For me the upload process is broken. I am
motivated about Commons but I fail at getting a picture in. Given that the
Stanton project is about Wikipedia, we need a similar project for Commons.

==Commons==
Commons is a great and important project. When we give more attention to it
will prove to grow from an ugly duckling into a swan. Currently there are
3,8 million media files, what number are we aiming for at the end of the
year ?
Thanks,
       GerardM

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Image_restoration