[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Attribution and Relicensing

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 02:34:27 UTC 2009

Delirium wrote:
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
>
>> Erik Moeller wrote:
>>

>>> * For pictures, sound files, etc., there is often just a single
>>> author.
>>>

>> This is of course very far from the truth. If you did
>> create the media file from your very own brain-pan,
>> yes, this would be accurate, but to say that that this
>> is "often" the case, is somewhat quizzical to say the
>> least.
>>

> I can see that for music---there's often songwriting, performance, etc.
> copyrights. But for photographs I would think it's not only "often" the
> case, but "usually" the case, that there is a single author, the
> photographer. The only common exceptions I can think of are photographs
> of copyrighted works, which have the copyright of the work being
> photographed attached to them also. There's also the relatively rare
> case of derivative works of free-licensed photographs, where the editing
> is creative enough to qualify for an independent copyright (i.e. not
> just resizing or applying a Photoshop filter).

First of all, even though you grant my thesis in terms of
music, that is still not even a major segment of sound
files, though perhaps the segment with the highest
profile in terms of intellectual property rights contentiousness.

But in terms of pictures, photographs is a very very minor
segment indeed. Discussing the matter solely in terms
of photographs is very diversionary.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen