[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 16 18:31:17 UTC 2009

On 1/15/09 11:19 AM, Brian wrote:
> Chad,
>
> What more would you like me to do, specifically?

The first things that would help would be:

1) Stop looking to blame someone for past wrongs
2) Think of something that *would* actually help, and do that

When a discussion starts in a negative direction, and continues on and
on and on in that direction, it ends up alienating the people you would
need to be working with to accomplish your goal -- it all ends up
sidetracked as a big ad-hominem debate about who's a bigger jerk and
nothing actually productive gets done.

If you'd like to push for more active evaluation of SMW and introduction
of either SMW or a refactored, slimmed down data storage/query system to
testing and production use, I think that's great!

We've been looking at it for years and hoping we'd have a chance to poke
at it some day; it's the beginning of a new year, projects are starting
up, and this is a time that we're setting priorities.

But it would probably be better to focus on positives like thinking
about what can be accomplished and getting interested parties excited
about working together than to repeat over and over that you believe a
past decision was wrong -- even if you're absolutely sure that it was.

-- brion