[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Gazimoff gazimoff at o2.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 18:29:14 UTC 2009

Tim,

As a qualified software engineer, I'm inclined to agree with you on a
number of points. I apologize for my brevity, but I am somewhat
restricted by the use of a mobile device.

After downloading, installing and maintaining a low-traffic Mediawiki
setup, I think the experience can be improved dramatically. It's clear
that a heavy amount of work has been done on improving processing
speed and providing additional functionality, but in terms of a
polished experience it doesn't match publishing tools like phpbb or
Wordpress. Whether this is due to versatility requirements, or a lack
of focus on this as a design requirement, I'm not sure.

On the subject of templates, they can be very much a black art.
Templates are seldom commented to describe their function, import
other templates without making it clear and place dependancies on
extensions that may not be clear. Coupled with this, there's no peer
review on templates as there is with articles. If a template performs
the required function it is accepted and reused regardless of how
clear or efficient the underlying code is. While suggesting that every
high-use template be subjected to a formal code review is a somewhat
silly idea, I think that you have three challenges on your hands.

The first is to make template writing more accessible, through the use
of easily digestible starter documentation leading on to more complex
examples

The second is to encourage good use of templates, both through code
comments and supplementary document subpages. Note that the two are
different - one tells you how it works while the other tells you how
to use it.

The third is to examine template parsing itself, with a view to
revisiting the language and perhaps performing a refresh if appropriate.

Hope all this helps.

Gazimoff

Sent from my iPhone