[Foundation-l] How to dismantle a language committee

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 17:50:38 UTC 2009

Hoi,
This is not that strange. The time span for discussion is brief. Discussion
is relevant until the moment when it is decided that a language is eligible.
When a language is eligible, the people who work on a proposal have to
fulfill the rest of the requirements but do so in the understanding that
their work will not be in vain. Most of the discussions about EA were from
the time when the proposal had already been given the eligible status.

Most of the arguments used are the same arguments seen in other requests.
People often feel really strongly about "their" language. The results are
often quite ugly; for one language the choice of the official orthography
makes you a Stalinist. The choice of an "official" orthography splits
languages along the lines of borders.  People writing their mother tongue
are called dumb.
Thanks,
      GerardM