[Foundation-l] transparency or translucency?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jan 11 17:22:25 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> > People understand that freedom of speech does not mean that someone
> > has the right to falsely shout 'fire' in a crowded cinema, but people
> > also understand that calling an organisation transparent, when it is
> > in fact semi-transparent, is misleading.
>
> It's only misleading if one chooses to understand "transparency" in
> the naive way that some might choose to understand "freedom of speech."

It's also misleading if one considers that the term "transparency" and the
term "freedom of speech" are not comparable in this way.  Absolute and
complete freedom of speech is a good thing.  Absolute and complete
transparency isn't.  But then, I think we've had this conversation before,
and you don't agree with the first of those two sentences?