[Foundation-l] How to dismantle a language committee

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 23:37:40 UTC 2009

Hoi,
This is a personal attack, an attack that is the result of discontent of the
way in which the policy of the language committee has been implemented.

So let me show where Mohammed is wrong. First of all, the language committee
is multiple people. Recently two high powered people were added to the
language committee. They are Michael Everson, who is so much of an expert in
this field that he rates his own Wikipedia article and Milos Rancic, a
linguist and a steward of the WMF. It is also incorrect that I would be the
only one "doing" things. The last request to the board for a Pontic
Wikipedia was written by Pathoschild. With such people actively involved,
the argument that I can force my will on them is ... a bit off.

Second, Mohammed is upset about one issue only. The existence of the
Egyptian Arabic Wikipedia. Mohammed is on one side of a dispute. He is under
the impression that I am on the other side of this. The people who are on
the other side of his dispute are the people who requested the Egyptian
Arabic Wikipedia and who are making the most of their project.

At the time when the request for the arz.wp was made, I asked the members of
the language committee if Egyptian Arabic was eligible. I got the reply that
it should be because it is recognised as a separate language. Nobody
objected to this and consequently the language was given the status of
eligible. The reason why I consulted the other members of the committee was
exactly because I foresaw people objecting forcefully. I have not been
disappointed. I am disappointed by Pathoschild's assertion that there was
not enough discussion, he should have spoken up at the time.

As far as the localisation for Egyptian Arabic is concerned, there is a
request for an Egyptian Arabic Wiktionary and it is to fulfill the
requirement for a secondary project that the localisation is doing so well.

Key in the current policy is that we have looked for objective criteria to
base the policy on. Using the ISO-639-3 standard is at the basis of how
languages are identified on the Internet. We publish our content on the
Internet so it was an obvious choice. The procedure and the requirements are
well published. It does not make everybody happy, including myself but it
does its job.

I have discussed illiteracy at some point. It is a well established fact
that learning to read and write is best done by learning to read and write
in the mother tongue. I have been involved in the translation of a study
about the use of SignWriting in Saudi Arabia that proved this point. There
are many such studies, and they make it quite clear that a close connection
between the written language and the spoken language improves literacy. When
the basic reading and writing skills are learned, a second language is
learned much easier and this has a lasting impact on the abilities of a
student.

It may surprise you, but I have a long history of trying to achieve things
for languages like the Arabic language. At some stage there was an
opportunity to have the complete English language Wikipedia translated by a
state of the art machine translaton engine. For all kinds of reasons this
did not happen. One of the reasons was the availability of servers.

The Arabic Wikipedia is doing really well. It has a consistently excellent
localisation, and it is growing nicely. If anything I am surprised that it
is not bigger then it is. In the discussions about Egyptian Arabic, I have
made the point repeatedly that the best way of proving the point that
standard Arabic is superior is by making sure that the Arabic Wikipedia is
indeed superior.

As to Latin script in the arz.wikipedia, that is news to me. If this existed
while in the Incubator, the project would not have had approval. I am
disappointed about this. If anything, this damages the project considerably.

Given that Egyptian Arabic is indeed a separate language, it is not feasible
to do full justice to the language by using machine translation. Machine
translation only work up to a point. One such tool that is likely to do a
great job is called Apertium, this tool is particularly good at translating
closely related languages, and I am sure that you agree that this applies...
I would be happily surprised if a real effort is given in creating such a
machine translation.

Thanks,
     GerardM