[Foundation-l] Remembering the People (was Fundraiser update)

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 10 14:45:49 UTC 2009

on 1/10/09 6:59 AM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:

> I note that I have asked you before if you've actually attempted to
> work directly with the community on-wiki, and you demurred:
>
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2009-January/097693.html
>
> You claim to be defending the community in the abstract, but don't
> appear to want to put in the effort to actually work directly with the
> people in said community.

David, if you mean the endless, circular, defensive battles that go on in
the Talk Pages of the English Wikipedia, no; I am not willing to put what
time I have there. The objective in such warfare seems to be to win at any
cost; not a discussion to resolve issues in a cause both sides of the
argument supposedly believe in and want to improve. There needs to be a
better mechanism for such discussions; or, at least, a culture more skilled
in the process of arbitration and decision making.

Marc Riddell