[Foundation-l] Why is the software out of reach of the community?

Naoko Komura nkomura at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 22:51:45 UTC 2009

Hello, Brian.

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:

> Why are so few community-developed mediawiki extensions used by the
> Foundation?

The plan for Usability Initiative includes intensive reviews of MediaWiki
extensions which are already available.  Then we will enable candidate
extensions with some set of test data in the test and lab environment.
Community involvement is essential in validating which extensions to adopt.

Usability test is targeted for users with no or little experience in editing
Wikipedia and the goal is to identify interactive obstacles.  The proposed
solution will be tested for feedback similar way as testing existing
extensions.

I also believe it is important to iterate the process above so that we can
reach out to as many as possible.

The project page is in the plan and once it is up, I hope to exchange and
share ideas with the community.

Best,

- Naoko

--