[Foundation-l] Attribution

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 03:36:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Klaus Graf <klausgraf at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> it is a myth that only the 5 main authors have to be mentioned
>> according the GFDL. This refers only to the title page and I cannot
>> see such a thing like a title page in the Wikipedia.
>
> This is significant. I would like to see what does Mike Godwin have to
> say about this. I also don't think that any license is able to say
> "you don't need to give attribution to [all] authors", even it is
> about CC-BY. (Otherwise, copyleft licenses seems like a decoration
> over PD.)
>
> Yes, some reasonable solution should be found, but [all] authors
> should be attributed somehow. (Let's say, by referring to some other
> work.)

Ah, here is the answer, which seems to me good enough:

"CC-BY-SA allows more flexible attribution choices than GFDL does, so
that attribution constraints can be specified by the author or (more
commonly) agreed to by everyone who chooses to contribute to the wiki.
(If you don't like the attribution norms of a particular wiki you're
considering contributing to, you can choose not to contribute, of
course.) For Wikipedia, attribution will continue on the project more
or less as it has in the past. What will be clearer is that linking to
a History page (or pages), which is what Wikipedia has normally done,
is an acceptable form of attribution, both within Wikipedia and with
regard to off-project reuse of Wikipedia content, at least for content
where the author lists would otherwise be onerous to reproduce."

From: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update/Questions_and_Answers