[Foundation-l] GFDL Q&A update and question

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 23:23:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Which part is unclear?  The dumps contain my copyrighted work.  You have no
>> license to distribute them (you might have once had a license under the
>> GFDL, but I explicitly and permanently terminated those rights over 30 days
>> ago in an email to you).
>
> I don't recall the GFDL saying the licensor can unilaterally revoke
> the license...

GFDL 1.2 Section 9 causes you to lose all rights if you violate the
license (no complaint necessary).  Lawyers would have to argue about
whether those losses are permanent or not.

GFDL 1.3 Section 9 gives a user of the license 30 days to comply after
a complaint until termination is permanent.

-Robert Rohde