[Foundation-l] Don't know how linked we still are with wikia...

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 5 19:44:09 UTC 2009

On 1/4/09 5:19 PM, effe iets anders wrote:
> But was that connection close enough (even in the old days) to
> complain here about copyright violations there? I think Tim had a good
> point here :P

*nod*

The Wikimedia Foundation is not, and has never been, involved with Wikia
in a capacity which would make foundation-l an appropriate place to
report a complaint about content on one of Wikia's thousands of
user-created wiki sites. You should contact Wikia's admins directly if
you want such a problem taken care of.

If one is instead making the argument that Wikimedia should distance
itself from a wiki hosting company due to offense taken at user-created
content on a site hosted by that company, well that's probably not the
best argument but I guess you can freely make it here. :)

The relationship between WMF and Wikia is basically on the order of
"some of the same people are involved" [many fewer now than before],
"much of the same technology is involved" [still true], and "because of
the above, occasionally both companies find it convenient to share
resources" [mainly our techs talk to each other, and sometimes we'll
split spare capacity on some physical resource at a fair market rate].

This is not a particularly closer relationship than we have with other
companies and organizations in the fields of wikis and open
source/content stuff.

-- brion