[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Aug 27 12:46:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When I read that people with a seat on the board aren't supposed to be
>> paid,
>> I hope you mean that they are not paid by the Wikimedia Foundation.
>

> No, what I mean is they aren't supposed to be paid *for being board
> members*.  At least that is my understanding of the intent of the WMF
> bylaws.  I don't necessarily agree with it, but thems the rules, it seems.

I'd also say that if a board member is being paid, by someone other than the
foundation, for being a board member, that's much worse than them being
paid, by the foundation, for being a board member.  The Wikipedia community
doesn't even want people being paid by third parties to write articles.  And
that's an action that anyone else can revert.  I'm not sure I agree with
that one, since anyone can revert an article, but board member votes can't
be reverted.

Please note that I am not accusing Halprin of being in this situation.  That
was something claimed by Joshua Gay, and I'm merely saying that *if* that's
true, it's a problem.