[Foundation-l] Open Library, Wikisource, and cleaning and translating OCR of Classics

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Wed Aug 12 17:15:04 UTC 2009

Hello,

This discussion is very interesting. I would like to make a summary, so
that we can go further.

1. A database of all books ever published is one of the thing still missing.
2. This needs massive collaboration by thousands of volunteers, so a
wiki might be appropriate, however...
3. The data needs a structured web site, not a plain wiki like Mediawiki.
4. A big part of this data is already available, but scattered on
various databases, in various languages, with various protocols, etc. So
a big part of work needs as much database management knowledge as
librarian knowledge.
5. What most missing in these existing databases (IMO) is information
about translations: nowhere there are a general database of translated
works, at least not in English and French. It is very difficult to find
if a translation exists for a given work. Wikisource has some of this
information with interwiki links between work and author pages, but for
a (very) small number of works and authors.
6. It would be best not to duplicate work on several places.

Personally I don't find OL very practical. May be I am too much used too
Mediawiki. ;oD

We still need to create something, attractive to contributors and
readers alike.

Yann

--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence