[Foundation-l] Fwd: Election vote strikes

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 12 05:24:57 UTC 2009

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> I'm interested in knowing the nature of the error (understanding is
> the key to avoidance in the future!)

It was my fault, and it was pretty much identical to the error I made
in 2007, where certain kinds of edits were double-counted and so the
effective edit count threshold was lower than it should have been.

Avoiding it in the future remains basically the same as it was in
2007, either:

* Stop changing the voting rules every year so that I don't have to
keep rewriting the scripts. Obviously I can change the numbers and
dates, but the CentralAuth integration this year required a whole new
architecture.
* Assign someone to do this who doesn't have a hundred other
responsibilities and can afford the time to do rigorous testing of
every critical component.
* Have someone review critical parts of SecurePoll instead of just
trusting me to write perfect code.

-- Tim Starling