[Foundation-l] [ol-discuss] Open Library, Wikisource, and cleaning and translating OCR of Classics

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 21:13:17 UTC 2009

Onion sourcing.  That would be a nice improvement on simple cite styles.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Gregory Crane<gregory.crane at tufts.edu> wrote:

> There are various layers to this onion. The key element is that books and
> pages are artifacts in many cases. What we really want are the logical
> structures that splatter across pages.

And across and around works...

> First, we have added a bunch of content -- esp. editions of Greek and Latin
> sources -- to the Internet Archive holdings and we are cataloguing editions
> that are the overall collection, regardless of who put them there. This goes
> well beyond the standard book catalogue records -- we are interested in the
> content not in books per se. Thus, we may add hundreds of records for a

Is there a way to deep link to a specific page-image from one of these
works without removing it from the Internet Archive?

> We would like to have useable etexts from all of these editions -- many of
> which are not yet in our collections. Many of these are in Greek and need a
> lot of work because the OCR is not very good.

So bad OCR for them exists, but no usable etexts?

> To use canonical texts, you need book/chapter/verse markup and you need
> FRBR-like citations ... deep annotations... syntactic analyses, word sense,
> co-reference...

These are nice features, but perhaps you can develop a clean etext
first, and overlay this metadata in parallel or later on.

> My question is what environments can support contributions at various
> levels. Clearly, proofreading OCR output is standard enough.
>
> If you want to get a sense of what operations need ultimately to be
> supported, you could skim
> http://digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/3/1/000035.html.

That's a good question.  What environments currently support OCR
proofreading and translation, and direct links to page-images of the
original source?  This is doable, with no special software or tools,
via wikisource (in multiple languages, with interlanguage links and
crude paragraph alignment) and commons (for page images).  The pages
could also be stored in other repositories such as the Archive, as
long as there is an easy way to link out to them or transclude
thumbnails.  [maybe an InstaCommons plugin for the Internet Archive?]

That's quite an interesting monograph you link to.  I see six main
sets of features/operations described there.  Each of them deserves a
mention in Wikimedia's strategic planning.  Aside from language
analysis, each has significant value for all of the Projects, not just
wikisource.

OCR tools
 *  OCR optimization: statistical data, page layout hints
 *  Capturing page layout logical structures

CROSS REFERENCING
 *  Quote, source, plagiarism idenfication.
 *  Named entity identification (automatic for some entities?  hints)
 *  Automatic linking (of urls, abbrv. citations, &c), markup projection

TEXT ALIGNMENT
 *  Canonical text services (chapter/verse equivalents)
 *  Version Analysis b/t versions.
 *  Translation alignment

TRANSLATION SUPPORT
 *  Automated translation (seed translations, hints for humans)
 *  Translation dictionaries (on mouseover?)

CROSS-LANGUAGE SEARCHING
 *  Cross-referencing across translations
 *  Quote identification across translations

LANGUAGE ANALYSIS
 *  Word analysis: word sense discovery, morphology.
 *  Sentence analysis: syntactic, metrical (poetry)