[Foundation-l] Board election spamming

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 17:03:09 UTC 2009

2009/8/9 Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:
> Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
>> Although I had already voted, I was not bothered by one tiny email reminding me that I was eligible to vote. Thanks guys, hopefully this will get people to the polls.
>>

> It didn't bother me either even though it came after I voted.  As far as
> spam goes this was softball, and it's impossible to screen out to the
> extent that some people want.
>
> I only received the message once, but considerably more messages
> complaining about it.

And even more messages like the one you just sent that add absolutely
nothing to the conversation and just say "me too".

It is not impossible to remove people who have already voted from the
list of people to be reminded, it has been done in previous years.

Why wasn't all this planned in advance? There should have been a
timetable with a specific date on which an email would be sent out and
there should have been a specific earlier date at which the mailing
list would be completed by. (People that voted inbetween those dates
may get a redundant email, a line should be added to the end
apologising for that.) These elections have been run several times
before, basic stuff like sending out emails shouldn't be cobbled
together at the last minute.