[Foundation-l] New Business Partnership with Orange

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:23:08 UTC 2009

Dear Kul,

Congratulations for this arrangement; Orange is a really big player on
the market in some European and non European countries, that makes it
so impressive. (People in other countries may not realise that.)
What I still don't understand - forgive me, I am not very familiar
with mobile phones and techno stuff - what exactly is the deal between
Orange and the Foundation. Why is it so important to Orange that they
have the right to use our logos? What technical benefit comes from the
deal? Maybe you can describe it from the view of the end consumer? And
is it possible to reveal something about the amount that the
Foundation gets, at least roughly? :-)

Kind regards
Ziko

2009/4/23 Marcin Cieslak <saper at system.pl>:
>> This partnership will start in four European territories: France, UK,
>> Poland and Spain. I already notified the chapter reps in Poland, UK, and
>> France (3 of the 4 territories where we have chapters).  They've had a
>> couple days to process the info and prepare for any media questions they
>> may come their way.
>
> I have two questions coming from Poland. Poland is a very important
> market for the FT Group, due to the majority stake that FT owns in
> the Polish incumbent telecom operator, Telekomunikacja Polska.
>
> 1) Does the deal include only Orange mobile platform or will it
> include also the new Orange Internet brand to be launched soon (at
> least in Poland)?  The difference is huge: while the Orange currently
> is just one of the four mobile operators competing in the market,
> the DSL market is based on the incumbent position in the landline
> connectivity and accounts for 80% of the broadband access in the
> country.
>
> 2) Does the deal potentialy include some arrangements regarding
> abuse handling with the Orange users? Since most broadband users
> in .pl come from the FT subsidiary network and are hidden behind
> the dynamic IP addresses. This leads to numerous issues, like
> blocking of the whole DSL range in region of Łódź in 2007
> (ca.  1 million inhabitants):
>
> http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blokada_Neostrady_w_%C5%81odzi
> (Polish-only)
>
> The telecom responded only after this issue has been prominent in
> the media, there is a big potential for improvement, for example:
>
> - better cooperation with the abuse team, possibly including
> - assignement of static, public IP addresses to the troublesome
> customers so that they can be filtered out.
>
> --
>              << Marcin Cieslak // saper at system.pl >>

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde