[Foundation-l] Freedom, standards, and file formats

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 09:10:54 UTC 2008

As I see that there are a number of well introduced people in this
matter, I want just to give the input from my experience (I am an
admin at the company which archives media and doing press clipping).

- For us, Flash was never an option, while WMV, MPEG (1 and 2) and
OGG/Theora are. Note that the company in which I am working has to
adapt to their customers. Simply, no one of customers wants Flash.
(BTW, MPEG 1 and 2 are useful because there are hardware encoders on
["hardware"] TV cards. WMV is useful because of the possibility to
make a very small video file.)

- There are VLC, MPlayer and similar plugins for web browsers which
allow watching video [from browsers]. It makes usage of OGG/Theora
format similar to usage of Flash ("click here to download the
plugin").

- It is already mentioned that HTML5 will have <video> tag and that
Firefox 3.1 supports it.