[Foundation-l] Data retention

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Sep 20 12:54:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2008/9/20 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:

> >> If they're doing that, then they need to be careful to make sure they
> >> are still following the privacy policy.
> >>

> > How exactly does the privacy policy even apply?
>
> The privacy policy dictates how private information will be handled,
> how could it not apply?

I didn't ask if it I applied, I asked how it applied.  Maybe I should have
said "in what way" instead of "how"?

One question would be, if a "troll hunter" breaks the privacy policy, who
would you sue?  The "troll hunter"?  The WMF?  Surely the public can't sue
the "troll hunter" directly, as the privacy policy is only binding on the
WMF.  But surely the WMF would argue that it isn't responsible for the
actions of its CheckUsers if it did get sued.

Another question would be, what restrictions are there on retaining
CheckUser results?  I don't see any.