[Foundation-l] Klassical Chinese

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Thu Sep 4 08:59:45 UTC 2008

Tim Starling wrote:
> Ting Chen wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> since its creation I wondered why this happend. Why is there a classical
>> chinese Wikipedia? This language has no native speakers and is not used
>> by any relitious or official institution as official language.
>>

> Because at the time it was created, we had not yet given GerardM and his
> team of rules lawyers the power to decide all wiki creation issues. There
> was a sentiment that we as a community should make our own decisions on
> language issues, rather than to delegate it to some standards body who
> might not have similar interests at heart. And some people held the
> opinion that while language study and preservation is not our core
> mission, it'd be nice if it happened anyway, especially if there is no
> significant cost to the organisation.
>
> -- Tim Starling

I totally agree with you on the issue of language conservation. Actually
I had even thought about the possibility to use our wiki to do such
things. I had read quite some articles for example on Scientific
American about the problems of language conservation that the
researchers are facing. And I think that wiki can be a technical way for
them.

But the classic chinese is another case. Classic chinese is a dead
language, and to write about the modern Olympic games with such a
language is simply original research. It has nothing to do with language
conservation.

Ting