[Foundation-l] We have the problem

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 16:23:58 UTC 2008

You have to consider, Milos, that these very real problems you identify may
not be amenable to a global solution. The simplest way to solve such
problems is to convince the whole community at once that there is a problem,
and also that there is a specific solution. Unfortunately, it is extremely
difficult to convince the whole community at once of either claim.

If you accept that there is no community-wide solution to these critical
issues, what then is your next step? I'll suggest what I, and others, have
suggested in the past. Create your own WikiCouncil.

A WikiCouncil, as previously proposed, would be composed of a number of
respected editors from various projects, working together to identify and
solve specific problems. Such a council can be constituted and operate
without a board resolution. It may be that if there were people willing and
able to make a WikiCouncil work, it would already have been created based on
what the Board members and others have previously written. Perhaps not,
though - if there is such a group of people, and you have an idea of who
they are, then put them together in an IRC room and get to work.

The last thing to consider is that these problems may not be amenable to a
solution at all, given our history, community and structure. In the (more
and more distant) past on the English Wikipedia, it was seen as Jimmy's role
of leadership that if the community became unable to solve pervasive
problems he would take the leap to make a necessary change. There truly is
no "Wikimedia Community" leadership to take that step. The Board has
declined to take that role, and no one else has enough standing.

Nathan