[Foundation-l] Hungarian Wikinews licence

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 21:02:46 UTC 2008

Dear All,Sorry for bringing up a possibly old  and closed issue, but could
someone explain to me that why was the GFDL with a possible migration to
CC-BY-SA 3.0 or later[1[  chosen as the site license for the Hungarian (and
I guess some others as well, created at the same time) Wikinews?
Wasn't the CC-BY used by the older Wikinewses a deliberate decision to give
Wikinews an extra opennes and connectivity with other news outlets (I
personally see a bigger chance for some newsproducer agreeing to license
their work under either CC-BY or less likely CC-BY-SA than GFDL or even GFDL
with a possible migration)?
Is the current license compatible with Wikipedia (I am thinking that the
added migration clause makes the project incompatible with GFDL sites that
are not also double licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 or later)?

Thanks,
Bence Damokos

[1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Licensing_clause_for_new_wikis