[Foundation-l] What's appropriate attribution?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:17:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> Copyright violations on the Internet are rampant.  So what?

Another point about attribution which we need to be mindful of is the
proposed Orphan Works law in the US which is getting closer and closer
to passing: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s110-2913

I expect it to make attentive copyright holders far more aggressive.
We can expect to get perfunctory complaints about many of our valid
fair use images just as we already receive from trademark holders.

In particular we can expect copyright holders to become more
aggressive with respect to attribution because unattributed (or
incorrectly attributed) copies floating around on the Internet will
cause an effective loss (if only temporary) of copyright protection.

(The orphan works act as currently drafted also has other risks
outside of current topic of discussion, such as the prohibition
against injunctive relief and the pure monetary damages focus which
may wedge copyleft enforcement, at least for works claimed to be
orphaned)