[Foundation-l] What's appropriate attribution?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:38:29 UTC 2008

> Absolutely agreed.  My longstanding interpretation of the GFDL was that
> attribution of all (non de-minimus) authors was required, in the section
> Entitled History.  Considering moral rights laws and the ethical principles
> behind them, I still believe this is the correct interpretation, and that
> the phrase "as given on its Title page" should be interpreted to apply only
> to "publisher of the Document".

If memory serves (it's been a while since I read the license
properly), the "5 principal authors" thing is for re-use, the
"preserve the section entitled history" thing is for modifications.
The two are different uses of the license. If you're just using the
content as is it's far easier than if you're modifying it.