[Foundation-l] The license situation

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 10:22:06 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Michael Snow wrote:
>> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

>>> I am sorry, I know I am certainly the last person who
>>> would have a right to grumble...
>>>
>>> But seriously, I am simply failing to parse that sentence;
>>> and somehow I suspect there is something significant
>>> behind it. Could someone forego the flip responses, and
>>> rephrase it in a fashion that would clarify the thinking
>>> behind that sentence?
>>>

>> It means that the potential relicensing will be carefully circumscribed.
>> It won't simply allow anyone to relicense GFDL content under CC-BY-SA
>> anytime they want.
>>
>> --Michael Snow

Thank you. This phrasing has the considerable virtue
of saying something isn't positively "allowed" rather than
claiming there are limitations which "prevent". And I can
easily understand that relicensing would not happen
"simply". That is quite defensible. Of course it would
be complex.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen