[Foundation-l] Wikipedia disclaimers

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 14 13:02:18 UTC 2008

While we attempt to act consistently with the laws of other
jurisdictions, the fact that the Foundation and its projects operate
under U.S. law requires us to conduct our affairs accordingly. This
means that when U.S. law is inconsistent with other jurisdictions and
requires different things from us, we are compelled to choose U.S. law
as our guide.

This is not an unusual situation or even an imperialistic one -- every
enterprise that operates across national borders is compelled to
address the problem of "choice of law." (One of the things we
routinely do in our business arrangements is decide which law applies.)

I believe the Spanish-language community is making a mistake in not
translating English-language legal disclaimers, since even if they're
not translated, the Foundation is compelled to obey American state and
federal law, and it does not do other communities any good to withhold
that fact.

--Mike