[Foundation-l] Freedom, standards, and file formats

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 8 01:32:30 UTC 2008

I will quickly weigh in on this thread:

First context: (I developed metavid.org (a wiki congress video archive)
and presently working with kaltura & wikimeida on the early stages of a
ogg theora html5 collaborative video editing solution)

We at the (much much smaller) metavid project faced a similar issue of
accessibility vs free/freedom a few months ago. As an explicitly free &
patented unencumbered software project for the first 2 years we had
exclusively used ogg Theora for our video archive.
There was subsequently a strong push to improve accessibility and
support flash. The solution was to do a fall back distribution of the
flash codec decoupled from the player.

Presently on the metavid site you can play back the flash video streams
with either VLC or the flash plugin. If your client supports it you can
play the ogg stream with vlc, native browser support, or cortado. Key to
this fall back solution is the user interface is identical regardless of
whatever method your playing back the content with.
All the play head controls, scripted interactions with transcript
editing, remote embed scripts, transcript playback are abstracted away
from the player. This is in some ways comparable to canvas emulation in
flash that brion mentioned.

I think if the fullback approach is properly implemented it facilitates
larger accessibility and hence entices much more wide scale usage of the
video functionality. Ultimately allowing you to more actively promote
free software solutions as an experience with identical or improved
quality without the costs of proprietary codecs.

As Erik mentioned in this thread more data about playback would be
helpfull and by request I have  hacked up a simple video player data
collector and survey on the ogg / flash playback support situation.
Should be ready to deploy shortly.

--michael