[Foundation-l] Old newspapers going to destruction

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Oct 5 06:05:59 UTC 2008

Klaus Graf wrote:
> I fully disagree with Schlottmann.
>
> 1. Nicholas Baker has shown in its book "Double Fold"
> http://delicious.com/Klausgraf/doublefold that microfilms are not a
> substitution for the original newspapers. And digitization isn't, too.
>
> 2. National Libraries might have the duty to digitize newspapers but
> if they don't do it or if they cooperate with toll access companies
> like the British Library http://newspapers.bl.uk/? The Public Domain
> belongs to us all!
Of course, scans and microfilms are no substitute for the originals, but
the one dimension that hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread is that
newspapers are printed on newsprint, a highly acidic cheap grade of
paper.  It's expected that once a newspaper has been read it will be
discarded.  Under those circumstances there is no need to print on high
quality paper or with pH neutral inks.  Even if you keep this in storage
it may very well be that when someone finally wants to use it it will
just crumble in his hands when he tries to pick it up.  Deacidification
at that point will not reverse the damage;  it will only buffer the
acids and keep things from getting worse.  Preserving it then may
require expert archival techniques normally reserved for the most
valuable of documents, such as page-by-page encapsulation.

I agree with National Libraries having the duty to digitize, but I think
that the breadth of the task is overwhelming even for a well funded
library. Unless and until they are willing to trust amateurs to do most
of the work it will be an impossible task.

Ec