[Foundation-l] Play Ogg!

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 14:57:18 UTC 2008

The Free Software Foundation has launched a campaign to support Ogg
http://www.fsf.org/resources/formats/playogg

Wikimedia Commons is not on the Friendly Sites list. I have just sent
them an email pointing that, but someone from WMF (Jay?) may want to
also talk with them.

I copy the brief below:

I'm writing today to ask you to support the Play Ogg campaign
(http://playogg.org).

Are you tired of constantly being prompted to download proprietary
software and plugins to play the videos and listen to the music you
want? Are you fed up with seeing new gadgets that only use incompatible
and restrictive audio and video formats? Did you know that it's not a
lack of technological know-how that causes this, but software patents
and other legal restrictions?

Increasingly proprietary software companies like Microsoft, Apple and
Adobe are pushing video and audio formats that restrict access and
restrict software developers, but there is an alternative that can be
played on all computers without restriction—Ogg.

Ogg provides professional grade multimedia formats. Ogg is used
extensively by free software projects, artists and a growing number of
music and video distributors.

Soon over a million children and their families will be receiving the
One Laptop per Child XO computer designed to play and create Ogg files.
By advocating now for Ogg we can help ensure that those children will
gain access to, and not be unnecessarily restricted from thousands of
educational resources and materials on the web.

Join us in advocating for Ogg right now by taking 4 Easy Steps: Install
VLC multimedia player, sign-up for the PlayOgg advocate mailing list,
find and share Ogg friendly sites, and put PlayOgg Buttons on your web
site or blog. After all that, if you are still looking for more to do,
consider encouraging others to do the same.

Start here: http://playogg.org/