[Foundation-l] Strategy document?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 09:31:00 UTC 2008

2008/10/3 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:

> Commons - As I wrote as long ago as 2005, it should be possible to tag all
> the media at Commons with labels that show up in the language selected in
> the user preferences. This has two benefits; it becomes easier for
> Wikimedians to find pictures to illustrate articles and second it becomes
> easier for people to find freely licensed material to enrich their work. I
> have been working on a proof of concept and it is clear that we can actually
> do this.

This has been on the "desperately wanted" list for Commons for a while:

* categories that behave like tags (so complex Boolean queries can be
run quickly)
* cats/tags that have multiple names (so "Category:Dogs" and
"Category:Chiens" are the same thing)

I understand work is in progress on both of these, though there's no
estimate on time of arrival.

- d.