[Foundation-l] Site Notices Phase 2 - Annual Fundraiser 2008

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Nov 28 19:03:47 UTC 2008

Anthony wrote:
> "We determined that you are a public charity under the Code section(s)
> listed in the heading of this letter [i.e. 170(b)(1)(A)(vi)]."
>
> I still have no opinion on what to call it.  And I'll admit that despite the
> fact that I said "charity" was a less precise term above (which I said
> because it doesn't seem to have a legal definition), I can also see an
> argument that it's a more precise term (I guess it's more precise, but less
> well defined, although "non-profit" actually isn't legally defined under
> Florida law either AFAIK, the actual law uses the phrase "corporation not
> for profit").
"Not for profit" is more precise than "non-profit".  By implying some
kind of intent it excludes those corporations that are non-profit only
by virtue of poor management.

I would generally view "charities" as a broad subset of not-for-profit
organizations, and education is properly a charitable purpose.

Ec