[Foundation-l] Trademarks

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Nov 25 18:42:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to say that striking a humane balance between the
> requirements of trademark maintenance and the interests of freedom of
> speech is something I try to do, pretty much on a daily basis.

How are the two in conflict?

I think you have to work very hard, mentally, to insert into my one
> sentence about "a free-speech lawyer" all this stuff like "famous" or
> "beyond question" or "little people."  Those words may inhabit your
> perception of me and my attitude, and I apologize if something I've
> said elsewhere has given you the impression that I think that way, but
> they're not there in the actual words I used.

This perception comes not from this particular thread, but from my reading
of other threads which you've participated in (including at least one that I
was involved in).  It's not something which I care to argue with you about,
and certainly not on this mailing list, although I will point out that
Thomas stated that "I've noticed that tendency as well", just in case you're
truly unaware that some people perceive this about you.

Anthony