[Foundation-l] Signal languages Wikimedia projects

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 12:31:54 UTC 2008

> - Many people claim that all deaf are literate in dominate languages
> of their area, but while this is partially true (almost all deaf in,
> say, the US are functionally literate), it's also true that many
> people are much more proficient and understand their signed language
> better than the written form of any spoken language. There's more to
> that discussion, I think, though.

They understand signed ASL (or whatever) better than written English
(or whatever), sure, but written ASL vs written English is another
matter. If the technical (and possibly legal) difficulties can be
overcome, then I guess we might as well give it a shot, but I'm not
convinced it's going to be a success. We'll see.