[Foundation-l] Fwd: An idea of free innovation

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 16:17:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a great idea for a wiki, and one that has been suggested before,
> but I don't think it's something the WMF would run. The WMF is about
> getting free knowledge to people, it's not intended for exchanging
> commercial ideas.

Very important ideas for humanity may be patented, too; so this is not
just about commercial ideas.

But, I think that this is a part of one wider issue needed to
complement other Wikimedia projects: We need a place where original
research is possible.

However, the concept of such idea has to be carefully built and a lot
of organizational infrastructure is necessary for that. I think that
WMF is not ready for that, still. But, I think that it will be ready
in the next couple of years (if everything would be going regularly).