[Foundation-l] Regarding the Fundraising Banner

Sebastian Moleski sebmol at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 22:21:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But other languages, such as german, also propose 30/75/100, but not in
> dollars... in euros. Unfortunately, a 30 dollars today is below 20 euros
> today. So, a minimal gift of 30 euros is more about 40-45 dollars.
> I do not think it is a good idea to suggest different values according
> to languages. Somehow, it strikes me as "unequal". I think we should
> stick to dollars in any cases. Imho.

It's true that the market exchange rate makes 30 euros converted to US
dollars more than 30 dollars. On the other hand, the purchasing power
of 30 euros in Europe is more or less equal to 30 dollars in the US.
So, it's actually perfectly fine to ask Europeans to donate 30 euros.
Looking at how actual donations turn out, it seems that the 30 is
actually used by a lot. It is indeed bold, but boldness is what
fortune favors, right?

Sebastian