[Foundation-l] Regarding the Fundraising Banner

Victor Vasiliev vasilvv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 23:51:57 UTC 2008

Erik Moeller wrote:
> However, if we feel (or measure) that a banner will significantly
> reduce the number of donations received, we will not use it. So if
> your primary goal is to make the banner smaller or less "obtrusive",
> rather than making it more effective or at least retaining its current
> level of effectiveness, I don't think we'll come up with something
> that can replace the current banners.
Several things why banner should not be obtrusive:
1) Due to some differences in different cultures some people would
decide never to visit Wikipedia rather than to donate :(
2) The previous year banner looked like we asked people to donate us,
now we are *begging* them to donate us. The difference between asking
and begging is that begging is considered to be a very bad form. Read your
message. The first thought that people have when they see that banner is
"Oh no, they are also affected by financial crysis". Do we really want
to let people
think that? (see point one to answer this question)

--vvv