[Foundation-l] Stable versions live on de.wp

Victor Vasiliev vasilvv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:38:10 UTC 2008

Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
>> Beside ther de-wp there are at least two other projects that use the
>> checked version. One is ru-wp. I didn't see any reports of the practice
>> there, would be interesting too.
>>

> By default the last version is shown, not the checked version, but one can
> turn on the protection, so that the checked version is shown. I believe we
> have only two pages protected right now, one of them is the main page. We
> check articles in the main space, categories, and templates.

Main Page used to be stabilized, but later it was protected in
sysop-only mode again, because 1) once a vandalized version of
Main Page got patrolled and it was displayed to all users; 2) we
had a revert war on Main Page. Right now we have only one
stabilized page (see [1]).
> Sysops have a patroller flag by default (meaning they can mark any version
> of any article as checked), unless they explicitly refuse, in addition, we
> have a couple of hundred patrollers who have been voted in a typically
> easy vote. Together with 70+ sysops, this must give about 300 patrollers,
> I did not check the exact number. Also, about a 100 editors have an
> autopatrol flag (not voted unless self-nominated), meaning if they edit a
> checked version the article remains checked. Bots also have this flag
See [2]. We also ran a bot which read new pages patrolling log
(Special:Log/patrol) and marked all pages patrolled with an old system
as sighted. That's why 1st and 3rd place in most active patrollers list [3]
are bots.

Here's Russian criteria for sighted revision in main namespace:
1. It must not have blatant vandalism
2. It must not have blatant BLP violations
3. It must be readable
4. It must not contain blatant mistakes (statements, which looks false
even for people unfamiliar to the topic: e.g. statement that Earth has a
form of pyramid)
5. It must not contain blatant copyright violations
6. It must not contain blatant spam
7. It must not be an obvious POV-fork
8. It must not contain unmarked out-of-date information
9. It must have at least one category
Also, there are 3 recommendations:
1. It should not have typos
2. It should be wikified
3. It should have interwikis

Categories have to match all articles criteria + they must have parent
category.
Images must have a good copyright status and FU rationale, if required.
Templates:
1. Must not have links via redirects (all links should point to articles
themselves)
2. Must have category
3. Should have interwiki
4. Must not have fair use images
5. If template has a long documentation, it should be split to a subpage.

All editors (or patrollers, in ruwiki terms) also have a rollback flag.

1. http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:StablePages?uselang=en
2. http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ValidationStatistics?uselang=en
3.
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project:ФП#.D0.9E.D0.BA.D1.82.D1.8F.D0.B1.D1.80.D1.8C