[Foundation-l] Social networking (was: Analysis of lists statistics: community in decline)

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:54:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > I don't see how having users do
> > their social networking at wikiwhatever.org helps people develop
> educational
> > content under a free license.
>
> Socializing is a way of sharing goals and enthusiasm, collaborating, &c.

Except they don't do that. Socializing first and foremost produces socially
active
people. While I am sure there could be some benefits, I fail to see how
adding
social-networking features into Mediawiki could possibly make it more
productive.

Out of the box, it's a damn productive package, it just tends to not seem
that way
when people want to make it something it's not (hint: it's a wiki).

-Chad