[Foundation-l] "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 20:28:30 UTC 2008

2008/11/2 Ilario Valdelli <valdelli at gmail.com>:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>>  Or shall we make it
>>> "public viewing, restricted editing-posting" now?
>>>

>> That would be my vote. I see no benefit to secrecy. (I'm not entirely
>> sure there's a benefit to restricted editing of the wiki, either,
>> although restricted posting to the mailing list may help keep things
>> running smoothly.)
>>

> The request of Florence was for a "collaborative space" for chapters,
> IMHO but she can confirm, the access should be restricted to the members
> of local chapters.

There is a big difference between restricting it to members of
chapters and restricting it to board members of chapters. The former
is an option, but I see little point - why shouldn't we value the
contributions of members of the community that live in countries which
don't have a chapter yet? Obviously, the final decision needs to be
made by actual chapters (well, the final decision is actually made by
the WMF board under the advice of chapters - chances are they'll just
rubber stamp whatever decision the chapters make, but they don't have
to - hopefully if they have a problem with the chapters' plans they'll
speak up during the discussion phase rather than rejecting the idea
once it is fully formed).