[Foundation-l] "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 19:02:19 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> Really? Cause I didn't get that message at all. What I got out of it
> was, "The board intends to consolidate the power of the existing big
> name chapters, and make some gesture of including them on the board,
> but we're actually not addressing substantively the issue of making it
> easy for them to actually form and be approve."

Big names ?
What do you mean ?
What came out of the chapter meeting in May is that there should be no
such thing such as inequality between chapters. Since then, a few people
have objected this, but generally, there was a perception that the
representatives would not be there to "consolidate" the power of big
chapters, but rather to be people chosen by chapters to propose another
approach that other board members would not bring.

The resolution leading to the addition of these two members was
absolutely not meant to solve any issue regarding the way chapters are
approved or not. That's a completely different matter.

> There's no excuse for blaming the chapters or the people in them when
> the system for developing and approving them is fundamentally flawed.

I can not speak for the "approving" part (eg, recognising as Wikimedia
chapter). But ultimately, the business of wikimedians choosing to group
and form a local organization is nowhere the business of the Foundation.

Ant