[Foundation-l] Baidu Baike changed their licensing policy

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Sun Nov 2 11:54:47 UTC 2008

Without any explaination and announcement had Baidupedia changed its
licensing policy (http://www.baidu.com/search/baike_help.html#n10). From
my view point there are three major changes.

At first, instead of earlier, when you must search through many pages to
find their copyright declerations and licensing policies now the
licensing policy is directly linked at the bottom of every page.

The second change is in stead of earlier, where the licensing policy and
the copyright declerations were seperated into at least two pages and
one must puzzle together the often contradictory statements tother the
new licensing policy is now concentrated on one page, but not less
confusing, as I will state beneath.

The third change is that they now say that their licensing policy orient
according to CC. But it does not say which CC. The text at this point is
not understandable. It makes the impression as if the user can select
between the different CC-policies, but actually the user can not. So
actually there is no choice for that and none of their content page has
any CC-declaration on it, except the well known © 2008 Baidu at the
bottom of the page.

My *personnal* interpretation is that they say: Dear user, you can put
any CC-licensed content on our page according to that license
decleration. We support that license. But actually none of their user
declare which license he or she want to use, or which license the
content, which they had copy and pasted, use. So the whole thing has in
the pracise no effect.

Everyone in the chinese community with whom I talked with say that they
consider this as a farce. They think that Baidu just want to encourage
its user to copy more content on their site by saying we support everything.

I myself take a slightly positive view. I think that Beidu is moving
toward the right direction, even if the move has no effect at the
moment. I cannot say why they introduced that peace of paper which is
totally inunderstandable, by assuming good will I suggest that is
because they are clueless and don't understand the cc-license. But I
think at least formal they recognize that they have a problem and do try
to resolve that problem. And I think that they are doing that also
because of us. So I think that what we did in the past, complaining
publicly and building up public pressure do show result.

So I think that we should continue or even increase this pressure.
Suppose they really don't understand the whole licensing thing, I also
think that it is our obligation to give developmental helps whereever we
can.

Ting