[Foundation-l] Community Assembly

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Mon May 12 10:05:17 UTC 2008

Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> What job will it perform? What authority and power does it have?
>> The Community Assembly will the unified voice of the Wikimedia Community. It would set community policy on a global scale and administer community processes. The exact powers given to it shall be determined by the community in its Charter.

> Any such group becomes suspect when it begins by phrasing its mission in
> terms of authority and power.  It's all very romantic to speak of a
> unified voice, but the unification has to happen first.  Who drafts the
> community charter that is the basis for these powers?
> [...]

To me, the "unified voice" is not romantic, but frightening.
I sincerely dislike the idea that some body might exist that
will pass resolutions "in the name of the community": If
there is a consensus in the community, there is no need to
pass a resolution. If there is no consensus, there should
not be a resolution at all.

  To repeat my two questions I have posted some time ago
with no answer yet:

1. How will any council, assembly or whatever further the
   foundation's mission?
2. What are the non-meta issues that the board has handled
   not as well as the council-, assembly- or whatever-to-be?

Tim