[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 1 16:41:39 UTC 2008

Delirium wrote:
> Well, there are two types of external candidates who have been suggested
> at various points: 1) people with strong credentials related to our
> mission, but not specifically in Wikimedia projects, such as Eben
> Moglen, Lawrence Lessig, etc.; and 2) people with experience in
> non-profit administration and management, but not related to our mission.
>
> I personally have much more of a problem with #2 than #1. I think some
> of #1 would be valuable, but probably not as a /majority/ of the board.
> I would object to any of #2.
One way that the problems with #2 can be defused is by identifying the
specific need, advertising that need in the community, and only
searching outside if no suitable person can be found in the community.

This was done for the treasurer, and despite my feeling that the
requirements were too high, I need to recognize that such a procedure
was followed in the search for a treasurer.

Ec