[Foundation-l] A question for the Wikimania jury

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 15:15:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:55 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/03/2008, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  >  In the letter, the Jury wanted to note that they *had* paid attention
>  >  to the many discussions on this subject, that this issue of community
>  >  accessibility had been discussed extensively amongst the jury members,
>  >  give the reasons why it was felt Buenos Aires was the best bid
>  >  irregardless of location, and also acknowledge that there are a lot of
>  >  people who would like to see another Wikimania in Europe or North
>  >  America -- and that thus strong bids from those places would be
>  >  welcome for 2010's Wikimania.
>

>  Does this boil down to "nowhere else should bother until 2011"?

No. This jury isn't/wasn't in the business of deciding anything
whatsoever about 2010. The statement that strong bids from North
America and Europe are welcome should be taken with good faith at face
value and not as an Oracle of Things To Come or a Veiled Comment on
Things Past.

If you have to read anything into it, read into it an acknowledgment
that we can't win when it comes to picking locations! Apparently
everywhere makes *someone* unhappy, and if we don't have a conference
in Europe/North America soon there will be much complaining. Of
course, if we *do*, and not somewhere else fantastic, there will be
much complaining also. There doesn't seem be an optimal solution,
which is why I encourage everyone to go over and participate in
Michael Snow's Wikimania thread.

-- Phoebe