[Foundation-l] Fundraising "Bugging for Dollars"

gwern0 at gmail.com gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 18:51:34 UTC 2008

On 2008.03.21 07:07:03 -0500, Screamer <scream at datascreamer.com> scribbled 1.2K characters:
> Ray Saintonge wrote:
> > Screamer wrote:
> >
> >> This seems very reasonable.  One can make restricted donations for a
> >> purpose only.  And it can be made known, that such a donation is for the
> >> restricted purpose of equipment purchase and upkeep, bandwidth, and or
> >> network staff.
> >>
> > Looks like an excellent way to generate useless extra bookkeeping in
> > maintaining tainted accounts.  If we have $1,000,000 budgeted for
> > equipment anyway, and we have $50,000 designated for equipment by
> > donors, then we just use that $50,000 as designated, and add $950,000
> > from general revenue.  It all comes to the same thing except for the
> > extra bookkeeping.  If a donor cuts it too fine, and starts insisting on
> > specific types of equipment as a condition for his donation, it's best
> > to just send the money back, or better still tear up the cheque and put
> > it in the trash.
> >
> > Ec

> is for the
> > restricted purpose of equipment purchase and upkeep, bandwidth, and or
> > network staff.
>
> How is this too fine?  And I don't think anyone has tainted accounts.  I'm having troble following you.  As I understand it, the foundation accepts restricted donations currently.
>
> ./scream

I was under that impression too, especially given the whole Greenspun donation thing - which, IIRC, was solely to be used to fund illustrations for Commons.

(Although I don't know if <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Philip_Greenspun_illustration_project> is an argument for or against allowing restricted donations, as it doesn't seem to've actually produced any art yet.)

--
gwern
Submarine 97 radar Dodger mines Threat FTS2000 Ti rhost rusers