[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:47:24 UTC 2008

> In the completely formed situation (VC is a fully representative body
>  and community has a crucial role in forming WMF Board), if two bodies
>  don't agree about what is which part of the job, there is a
>  possibility for referendum inside of the community: to decide which
>  job it is or to decide what to do.

If the council is truly representative, then a referendum is (at least
roughly) equivalent to just letting the council decide (which would be
a hell of a lot easier). Do we want to have the unqualified masses
deciding when they should and shouldn't defer to expert opinion? I
guess it depends on how much we trust the experts...

>  BTW, I am sure that we will need a judicial body in the future, too.

I'm for from sure of that. It's possible, but unless we end up with
far more rules at the foundation level which are binding on the
community (as opposed to just the staff and board), then it won't be
needed. Most rules that are binding on the community are at the
project level, and arbcoms can handle the judicial side of things.