[Foundation-l] Muhammad

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 11:01:56 UTC 2008

Mathias Schindler wrote:
> 2008/3/3 Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>:
>
>>  However, it so happens that the man on the image represents not the
>>  prophet, but an imam (Ali, since the image is from Persia).
>
> Is there any source to back this statement up, except for its origin
> and one face feature?

I dunno. The document seems to come from BNF. But the BNF website is
seriously unhelpful on that matter :-)
All I found is http://expositions.bnf.fr/livrarab/pedago/grands/0_01.htm

I gather a scholar could help us on this. I can ask the guy of course,
but will only do so is there a minimum of support. I have no idea why he
suggests it is Ali. I do not know enough the history of Muslim religion.

However, whilst I was wandering around, I must say the diversity of
faces this faceless person has been represented with, is quite amazing :-)

>>  May I suggest a solution ?
>>  - Change of the name of the picture to islam.jpg instead of mohamet.jpg
>
> Changing the name from one non-descriptive name to another
> non-descriptive one is not quite helpful. In the case of
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Maome.jpg , the description
> contains a lot more useful information for a proper file name.

Agreed.

Ant