[Foundation-l] Tragical dynamics: that run for the number of articles

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:09:48 UTC 2008

Among the Big Wikipedias, the pl.WP has one of the lowest quota of
real articles:

	Artikel (off.)	realt. Art.  Artikel W (Quot.)
EN 	1400000 1344000	0,96
DE 	696000	668160	0,96
FR 	613000	514920	0,84
JA	466000	466000	1
IT	408000	301920	0,74
PL	467000	298880	0,64
ES	326000	293400	0,9
NL	404000	274720	0,68
SV	272000	217600	0,8
PT  338000	209560	0,62
RU	233000	195720	0,84
ZH	164000	144320	0,88
(most numbers from jan. 2008, en, de and pt older; estimations should
be rounded, in fact)

Only 64 % real articles in pl.WP, while the much criticized sv.WP has 80%.
But this is not about blaming some Wikipedians, but about finding out
how to compare WPs in a more effective way.
The average size (bytes per article) does not work either. Take the
article "Berlin" in Opper Sorabian (hsb). It has 3740 bytes. Sounds
good, but only 454 bytes (six short sentences) are the actual text.
1823 bytes alone are for the interwikis. This is not a manipulation,
but you see the difficulties when reading Wikimedia statistics. Even a
"geographical stub" with infoboxes, categories and interwikis produces
a lot of bytes.
It takes a human to evaluate.
Ziko

Ziko van Dijk